Circus Main EntranceCircusesCircus PerformersCircus SideshowsCircus Sideshow performersLife with the circusCircus owners and managersCircus MoviesCircus candy butchers
MAIN
ENTRANCE
CIRCUSESPERFORMERSSIDESHOWSSIDESHOW
ACTS
CIRCUS
LIFE
CIRCUS
OWNERS
CIRCUS
MOVIES
CANDY
BUTCHERS

 

Kelly Miller Circus

Kelly Miller Circus

Kelly Miller Circus Elephants 1959

Miss Wilkins Kelly Miller Circus
Click to enlarge
Kelly Miller Circus performer
Miss Wilkins 1945
 
Kelly Miller Circus sideshow
Click to enlarge
Kelly Miller sideshow 1945
 
Kelly Miller Circus midway
Click to enlarge
Kelly Miller midway
Photo credit: Kelly Miller Circus website
 
Kelly Miller Circus concessions wagon
Click to enlarge
Kelly Miller Circus Concessions
Credit: Kelly Miller Circus website
 
Armando Loyal with Kelly Miller Circus elephants
Click to enlarge
Armando Loyal
Credit: Kelly Miller Circus website
 
 

 

 

The Kelly Miller Circus was founded in 1938 by Obert Miller and his sons, Kelly and Dory Miller, the Al G. Kelly Miller Brothers Circus, now known simply as Kelly Miller, has entertained millions of American and Canadian citizens while establishing itself in the fabric and history of the American Tented Circus. Despite popular belief, the "Al G." portion of the title did not come from the "Al G. Barnes Circus". Obert had once been partner with Al G. Campbell, and this was the basis of the name, (at least the was Obert's story).

The circus began as a small dog and pony show with the Miller family performing most of the acts. Due to the creative talents and showmanship of Obert and his sons, the small circus was very successful in it's first years.

In 1940 the show was able to purchased it's first elephant.

In 1942 the circus began wintering in Hugo Oklahoma, where it's winter quarters remains today.

The Miller family had a fondness for animals and the show carried a large menagerie. In 1948 a giraffe was added to the circus and exhibited in a "pit show". In 1949 the circus increased the size of it's menagerie adding polar bears, a black rhino and a hippopotamus.

From 1984 through 2006, David Rawls, third generation circus manger directed Kelly-Miller Circus. In 2007, another exciting chapter in its history began when he passed the reins to John Ringling North II. Mr. North’s great uncles were the famous Ringling Brothers, his grandmother, their only sister. Born into this most famous of circus families, John grew up on the “Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus”, learning circus operation from his father Henry Ringling North, and Uncle John Ringling North. “I intend to maintain the excellent standards established by David Rawls and his family, and add some new features to the show,” John said following the hand-over.

The show travels on a fleet of 25 vehicles and requires an area of some 90,000 square feet to set up on. The circus big top, imported from Italy, has a seating capacity of 1500 and is made of waterproof vinyl. The tent is 120? by 130? and 40’ high and is supported by more than a quarter of a mile of heavy gauge aluminum tubing as well as several miles of rope, steel cable and chain.

Visit the Kelly Miller Website

Previous Circus   Next Circus
Previous  Next

 

 
Obert Miller at the Kelly Miller Circus concessions
Click to enlarge
Obert Miller standing at the
Kelly Miller Circus concessions
North Platte, Nebraska 1945
 
 
Horse tent Kelly Miller Circus 1945
Click to enlarge
Horse Tent
 
 
Animal trainer Ryan Holder
Click to enlarge
Ryan Holder
Credit: Kelly Miller Circus website
 
Mike Rice with liberty act
Click to enlarge
Mike Rice with liberty act
Credit: Kelly Miller Circus website
 

Main Entrance List of American Circuses List of Circuses Performers List of Circus Owners
Main Entrance Circuses Performers Owners

 Copyright ©2013 Circuses and Sideshows Dot Com